Caramel O Bars
photo by FoodExplorer
- Ready In:
- 14 -16 ounces caramel candies
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 4 cups Cheerios toasted oat cereal
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Combine caramels, water and peanut butter in a large mixing bowl (microwave safe bowl).
- microwave at high 3-5 minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring after 2 minutes.
- Stir in cereal and peanuts.
- Press mixture in well buttered 13x9 or12x8 pan.
- Place topping ingredients in microwave safe bowl.
- microwave ,stirring occasionally until melted and blended.
- Spread over bars and cool.
- Note: caramels are about 396.9 to 453.6 grams.
- Microwave times will vary.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Perfect for kids in the kitchen! My 4y/o was thrilled to be able to help from start to finish - no oven to have to avoid! We used honey roasted peanutes since we had them & it was a wonderful sweet/salty combo. These are very addictive - dh keeps cutting small pieces from the pan when he walks through the kitchen. We topped these w/some of the peanuts and a handful or two of mini chocolate chips.
I can't believe how much my husband loved these! He just raved about them. They were very easy to make, and I will definitely make them again. Only thing, I didn't have any peanuts; they would have added a nice salty contrast, or maybe I'll use honey roasted peanuts for a sweet/salty taste next time. Thank you Dotty2! These were great :)
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I have just recently retired. I worked in the banking industry for 25 yrs. My husband and I own a cottage and have spent most of this last summer at the lake. We go there in the winter as well. I love to cook and I collect recipes. <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/Pohutukawa-2-1.jpg"> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/pick0GuXD-1.jpg"> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/picNW72Oj-1.jpg"> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/picx2XGjA-1.jpg"> <img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3316/3345270671_dd30334798.jpg"> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/picx2XGjA-1.jpg">