Caramel Matzo Crunch
- Ready In:
- 4 -6 unsalted matzohs
- 1 cup unsalted butter or 1 cup unsalted passover margarine
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup coarsely chopped chocolate chips or 1 cup semisweet chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Line a large (or two smaller) cookie sheet completely with foil.
- Cover the bottom of the sheet with baking parchment — on top of the foil.
- This is very important since the mixture becomes sticky during baking.
- Line the bottom of the cookie sheet evenly with the matzohs, cutting extra pieces, as required, to fit any spaces.
- In a 3-quart, heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the butter or margarine and the brown sugar.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil (about 2 to 4 minutes).
- Boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and pour over the matzoh, covering completely.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 350°.
- Bake for 15 minutes, checking every few minutes to make sure the mixture is not burning (if it seems to be browning too quickly, remove the pan from the oven, lower the heat to 325°, and replace the pan).
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle immediately with the chopped chocolate or chips.
- Let stand for 5 minutes, then spread the melted chocolate over the matzoh.
- While still warm, break into squares or odd shapes.
- Chill, still in the pan, in the freezer until set.
Join The Conversation