Caramel Chocolate Chip Bars
photo by Juenessa
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 32 caramels
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup vanilla chocolate chips or 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 Heath candy bar, chopped (1.4 ounces)
- In a large saucepan, combine the butter, caramels and milk; cook and stir over medium-low heat until smooth.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, oil and eggs; mix well.
- Stir in chips and chopped candy bar (dough will be stiff).
- Press three-fourths into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- Place on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Pour caramel mixture over the crust.
- Drop remaining dough by spoonfuls onto caramel layer.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Cool for 10 minutes; run a knife around edges of pan.
- Cool 40 minutes longer; cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These were delicious...but very dense (which is good, just in smaller portions at a sitting)! Very full of chocolate and caramel flavors! I think I made the mistake of not spreading out enough of the spoonfuls of leftover mixture over over the entire pan...I will do that next time. But very delicious...hit our sweet spot just right!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I am a native Texan and have lived in North Texas all my life. <br />I have a wonderful husband and we celebrated our 22nd wedding anniversary on July 15, 2014! <br /><br /><a href=/\\expio1\users\jwilliams\My></a>I have three beautiful boys aged 17, 15, and 15. <br /><br />And then there's my little girls, Daisy & Chloe. Daisy is a terrier mix and Chloe is a Maltie-Poo.<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/FFF/Switzerland-FFF4.gif alt=/ /> <br /><br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /> <br /><br /><img src=http://www.satsleuth.com/cooking/RecipeSwap2.JPG alt=/ /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /> <img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/67103/smPACp.jpg alt=/ /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj240/marienixon_715/kittencaljpg.jpg alt=/ /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/vseward/Bevy/officialmemberofthebevtaggame.jpg alt=/ /></p>