- Ready In:
- tomatoes (beefsteak kind)
- mozzarella cheese
- basil, chopped coarsely
- olive oil (extra virgin is best)
- vinegar (balsamic vinegar is really nice)
- red wine
- Slice tomatoes in thick slices, salt and pepper.
- Slice cheese also in similarly thick slices.
- Arrange tomatoes and cheese on a platter, alternating and overlapping slightly.
- Sprinkle over all with oil, then vinegar and chopped basil.
- Let mature at room temperature for a few minutes to an hour before eating as an appetizer.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This is such an easy and wonderful salad. We eat it all the time at the moment as we are cycling around the world and it's so simple to prepare, yet so fresh and full of energy for us to go the next few kilometers. We can't let it stand at room temperature too long but it's good as soon as we plate it up, often gobbled down with fresh bread.
Excellent. One of the most important things is to use garden fresh tomatoes not the tasteless things most supermarkets sell. If these are not available the next best thing is an Organic vine-ripened tomato. The second most important thing is to use fresh Mozzarella Cheese sold in a "ball" shape. Other than that not sure why red wine is mentioned since I did not find it in the directions I skipped it?