Caponata (Eggplant Appetizer)
- Ready In:
6 1/2 cups
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large celery, diced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup tomatoes (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1⁄2 cup green olives (pitted and halved)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large eggplant (diced)
- In a 4 quart sauce pan heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and celery cook covered 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add next 8 ingredients, heat to boil
- Cover, simmer on low 20 minutes.
- In a large non stick skillet heat 4 tbsp oil over medium heat. Add eggplant cook 10 minutes or until tender stirring often.
- Stir tomato mixture into eggplant.
- Serve on slices of toasted french bread.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I am from Andover, Ma. We have a place in Maine where we spend most of the summer. I have a wonderful husband in my life that I thank God for everyday. I love to cook and bake. It relaxes me. And I love it when I see the smiles on peoples faces when they love what I have cooked. Thanks to all of you and your recipes this happens alot!</p>