For mom. Select melons that are ripe, but avoid very ripe melons or the jam will be too sweet.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 3 cups firm ripe cantaloupe, seeded, peeled, crushed, lightly drained (about 2 large)
- 1⁄2 cup strained fresh lemon juice
- 5 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 2 (3 ounce) packages liquid pectin
- In an 8-quart pan, combine the cantaloupe, lemon juice, sugar, and butter.
- Over med-low heat, stirring constantly, heat the mixture until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Increase heat to med-high and bring the mixture to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the entire contents of both pectin pouches; return mixture to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly.
- Boil, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Remove pan from the heat; skim off any foam.
- To prevent jam from separating in the jars, allow the jam to cool for 5 minutes before filling the jars.
- Gently stir the jam every minute or so to distribute the fruit.
- Ladle the hot jam into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace.
- Wipe jar rims and threads with a clean, damp cloth; cover with hot lids and apply screw rings.
- Process half-pint jars in a 200°F water bath for 10 minutes; pint jars for 15 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION