Canned the Summer in a Salsa !
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
14 1/2 pint jars
- 5 lbs tomatoes (red and green tomatoes seeded and chopped = 5 pounds)
- 1 lb chile (I used 2 jalapenos, 2 bell peppers, 1 habanero, 1 Tabasco, and 1 chipotle that I made)
- 1 lb sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup vinegar (5 percent acidity)
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro (Also additional fresh cilantro can be added at time of serving)
- Place all but the paste and cilantro in a heavy bottom pot bring to a boil then simmer 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add paste stir in and cook 10 minutes.
- Add the cilantro stir in and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Ladle into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe jars and adjust lids and process in water canner for 15 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I love this recipe! I made it last summer and ran out by March. This summer I am definitely canning more jars. I typically leave some seeds in the jalapenos (we like it hot), add a little sugar, an extra can of tomato paste and extra cilantro. Sometimes I will even add black beans and corn. Thanks for the great recipe!
This is the best salsa! Everyone loved the heat. I chopped by hand some of the red tomatoes and then used the food processor to chop the rest of the ingredients. I used one habanero, 2 chili peppers and the rest jalapenos. I did use red and green tomatoes. Thank you Rita...you know I love your canning recipes.
very yumie!!! My family and I love this salsa. My mother in law also likes it also due to the fact that her home grown tomatos don't go to wast. The secound batch I made I put a little more lime juice in it that made it really good I think that it gave it more of a summer tast to it. It will be a recipe that get used alot!
see 3 more reviews