Canederli (Bread Dumplings)
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
The ultimate South Tyrol comfort food. Serve these little gems in a rich broth, as an accompaniment to roasts and stews, or as a pasta course with a meat sauce. The speck (or ham) is optional.
- Ready In:
- 150 g day-old bread (try it with rye!, about 5 ounces)
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 80 g speck, chopped fine (or prosciutto or ham, about 3 ounces)
- 2 eggs
- 100 ml milk (about 1/2 cup) or 100 ml water (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped fine
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut the bread in fine cubes and place in a mixing bowl.
- Saute the onion in the butter until tender. Mix with the bread.
- Add the flour and the speck.
- In a separate bowl blend the eggs, milk, parsley, salt and pepper; add to the bread, mixing well.
- Let the mixture rest for 15 minutes. The mixture shouldn't be too wet; add flour as needed.
- Form about 8 round dumplings.
- Bring a pot of water to a gentle boil, add the canederli, and cook for 15-20 minutes with the cover askew.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION