Candy Cane Shortbread
- Ready In:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, must be very soft
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, must be very soft
- 1 3⁄4 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup superfine sugar, for topping
- 6 small candy canes, crushed
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter a 7x11-inch glass baking dish.
- Sift flour and cornstarch together in a bowl.
- Place butter in mixing bowl. Add the salt and mix well. Then add granulated sugar to butter and mix to just combine. Add flour mixture and mix just till a smooth dough forms. This may be done with a mixer or in the food processor.
- Pat dough evenly into prepared baking dish. Dough should be no more than 2/3-inch deep. Bake until the top and bottom are lightly browned, about 30 minutes. The middle should remain light.
- Meanwhile, combine the powdered sugar and crushed candy canes.
- Remove the baked dough from the oven and place on a rack. Sprinkle the shortbread with the candy cane mixture. When the baked dough has cooled a bit but is still warm to the touch, use a long knife to cut into 1-inch squares; 7 cuts lengthwise and 11 across. Cool thoroughly before removing from dish.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!