Candied Walnut Salad
Originally from one of the American Diabetes Association cookbooks, I made changes to make it tastier. Deliciously tangy with crunchy sweetness throughout! For a healthier version, use margerine instead of butter and only 1/4 cup walnuts. Also, split the salad into 4 servings.
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 cups mixed baby greens
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl combine butter and brown sugar. Microwave on high 30 seconds or until butter and sugar have dissolved.
- Toss walnuts in the butter/sugar mix. Spread on a cookie sheet and bake 15-20 minutes or until beginning to brown.
- In salad bowl, make the dressing by combining vinegar, oil, and mustard.
- Gently toss greens in dressing.
- Allow walnuts to cool 10-15 minutes, then toss with greens.
- Serve and enjoy!