Candied Root Vegetables
photo by Pearl Ishizaki
- Ready In:
- 1 piece sweet potato
- 1⁄2 piece burdock root (gobo)
- 1 cup oil (for deep frying)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 pinch salt
- Wash the sweet potato and burdock root well then wipe with paper towel to dry.
- Slice the root vegetables into strips. There is no need to peel the sweet potato and burdock root.
- Coat the sweet potato and burdock root with flour. You can slightly tap the root vegetables after coating to remove excess flour as you only need a thin layer of flour coating.
- Pour oil in a deep frying pan then heat until it reaches deep frying temperature, about 160°C.
- Carefully drop the root vegetables in the hot oil then deep fry. Remove the root vegetable sticks once it turns brownish in color. This would take about 3 minutes.
- Heat a pan using medium heat then add sugar, sesame oil and sesame seeds. Mix the ingredients well then add the deep fried root vegetables.
- Once the sugar melts lower the heat and continue mixing until the root vegetables are evenly coated.
- Remove from pan then add some more sesame seeds on top before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hello! I'm a YouTuber home chef from the Philippines now based in Japan. I love to share the recipes I've learned from my travels around Japan. Please enjoy my recipes.