- Using a swivel-bladed vegetable peeler, remove the peel from the fruit, leaving the bitter white pith.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the peel into strips, according to intended use. If you want to use the candied peel on cakes or tarts, cut it into matchstick strips; if candying to dip in chocolate, cut the peel into larger strips.
- Place the strips in a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, drain, and refresh under cold running water.
- Return to the saucepan, add the sugar and 1/2 cup water and cook over moderate heat until the liquid has evaporated and the peel is bright and shiny.
- Spread peel on a sheet of foil to cool, separating the strips.
- Store in a sealed jar in the refrigerator. The candied peel will keep for up to 6 months.