MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
From the Western Cookbook chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Overnight soaking not included in preparation time.
- Ready In:
- 3 cups cactus pieces, cleaned of spines and cubed
- 3 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (fresh is best)
- food coloring (optional)
- Clean off any spines and glochids (the little hairy spines) from your cactus paddles; peel green skin and cube into 1 x 1/2 inch pieces.
- Soak overnight in cold water.
- Drain very well.
- Make a syrup of sugar, water and fruit juices; add cactus and cook until syrup is nearly all absorbed, taking caution not to scorch.
- May be tinted with food coloring if desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION