Canadian Bacon, Asparagus and Egg Gratin With Fontina Cheese
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This makes an elegant meal for two, either breakfast or dinner.
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 ounces asparagus, cut on diagonal into 1-inch pieces
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 ounces unsliced Canadian bacon, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 eggs
- 4 teaspoons whipping cream
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces Fontina cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter 9-1/2" oval gratin pan.
- Melt 1 T. butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add asparagus, salt and pepper. Cook until asparagus begins to soften, about 4 minutes. Add bacon and stir 1 minute. Add 1/3 cup cream and pinch of cayenne pepper. Stir until heated through, 1 minute. Mix in mustard. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Make 4 nests in mixture, spacing evenly. Break egg into each nest. Drizzle 1 t. cream over each egg. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and cayenne. Bake until whites are beginning to set but are still runny, 12 minutes.
- Preheat broiler. Sprinkle cheese over dish. Immediately broil until melted and beginning to brown, about 30 seconds. Serve immediately.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION