Cam's Sweet and Spicy Special BBQ Sauce
I've been making this BBQ sauce for years and I finally wrote down the recipe at my oldest instance. This sauce is thin, somewhat sweet with a little kick at the end. I use this to marinade our ribs as well as for basting, dipping etc.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground dry mustard
- 1 pinch salt
- in a medium sauce pan over medium heat mix butter, brown sugar and water. Bring to a boil stirring frequently. Boil to 250* not quite hard ball stage.
- reduce heat to a simmer and add tomato sauce. The sugar mixture may seize depending on the temperature of the tomato sauce. That's fine, just stir until the sugar mixture dissolves.
- add the rest of the ingredients and let simmer 10-20min stirring occasionally. Flavors will develop as it sits.
- If you want a thicker sauce cook the butter and sugar longer, but keep a close eye on it so it doesn't burn. It'll thicken up in the fridge.
- Refrigerate till ready to use, will keep several weeks in the fridge.
- I usually make large batches of this and can it.
- Serving size is 2 tbls and this makes approximately 2 pints. or 4 cups.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I just made a triple batch, it was easy and delicious. In the process of using it for my pulled chicken sliders for the pot luck at work tomorrow...my coworkers have no idea what PLEASURE their taste buds are about to experience. I like things a bit spicy so added to a little extra cayenne and dried hot red peppers. and only added tomato sauce for a double batch so it wouldn't be as thin. Its perfect!Reply
This was WONDERFUL! My in-laws wanted us to cook up a bunch of meat in short notice for a get together and were without BBQ sauce so I pulled your recipe and all the ingredients were in the house. When the in-laws came they asked where we got the sauce. We told them we made it from your recipe and I had to print it out for them. We put it on ribs, chicken, and pork chops and everyone was still asking for some to use as a dipping sauce. This was a life saver and I am so very thankful to you! (As was everyone else!)Reply
see 7 more