Simple and fun Muffins for the younger ones to do around the fire.
- Ready In:
- 6 oranges
- 2 (7 ounce) packages blueberry muffin mix (or any flavor)
- Cut oranges in half.
- Scoop out the orange segments to eat alone.
- Reserve the hollow peel shells.
- Prepare the muffin mix according to the package directions.
- Fill the orange peel cups half full of batter.
- Wrap each one loosely with heavy duty aluminum foil.
- Place in hot coals, making sure that the batter side stays up.
- Cook 6-10 minutes until muffins are done.
- Adding a few berries to the batter adds excellent flavor.
- Note: Use 3 oranges per package of muffin mix.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
These were excellent! The orange flavor from the peel really infuses the muffin with an excellent orange flavor. I added cranberries to a blueberry and wild berry muffin mix. I cooked/baked them over an open fire pit by placing them in a disposable tin and covering with tin foil. About 45 minutes and they were cooked perfectly. These were a crowd favorite and I will be making them alot!Reply
I tried this out camping last week. I bought Jiffy raspberry muffins since I thought those would go well with the orange. I had my 5 yr old daughter mix up the batter but I did the rest. For the most part we got them to cook and they rose nicely, some we had trouble with raw dough inside so that will just take some practice. I agree with what another reviewer mentioned... next time I will prep the oranges in advance since that wasted a lot of time. Also it seems like you could use any type of muffin batter so I might try a bran muffin so that they will be healthier.Reply
These are so nifty! I liked how moist the muffins came out, and the added hint of orange was a nice compliment to the flavor. I did mine in the oven b/c I wanted to test them out before I went camping. My mom the picky eater loved them. What a great way to conserve clean dishes! Maybe I'll try mini-muffins in lemon halves next time. Thanks!1Reply
These were excellent! The DH and I went camping with some friends and everyone was a little bit skeptic about how these muffins would turn out...but they were great! I juiced the oranges so we could have some fresh orange juice with breakfast, took out the pulp, and added Blueberry muffin mix and Chocolate Chip mix to the orange cups. They cooked up just fine over the campfire and the orange peel added just a hint of orange flavor. Great idea!1Reply
see 8 more