Calzone With Sun-Dried Tomatoes
photo by French Tart
- Ready In:
- 1 deep-dish pizza dough
- 1 tablespoon oil, from sun-dried tomato
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped sun-dried tomato
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 lb sliced salami or 1/4 lb prosciutto, cut into strips
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- cornmeal (for baking sheet)
- olive oil
- Prepare 1 recipe pizza dough (I use'd the dough cycle on the bread machine) and let it rise.
While Dough Rises, Prepare Filling:
- In a medium frying pan heat tomato oil over moderate heat, add onion and cook, stirring often, until soft but not browned.
- Mix in garlic, then remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl mix ricotta cheese with dried tomatoes and parsley.
- Stir in cooked onion mixture.
- Divide dough into two equal portions.
- Roll each half out on a floured surface to a 12-inch circle.
- Spread half of the ricotta filling over half of each circle of dough, leaving about a 1/2-inch margin.
- Sprinkle half of each circle with half of the meat strips and 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese.
- Fold circles in halves over filling, moistening and pinching edges together (or pressing with tines of a fork) to seal.
- Preheat oven to 450~ F.
- Sprinkle a large, greased baking sheet lightly with cornmeal.
- Place calzones well apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Let rise until puffy (12 to 15 minutes).
- Bake to a deep golden color (about 20 mins).
- Brush tops lightly with olive oil, then serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
A wonderful recipe which we both thoroughly enjoyed! The flavours were fantastic and the combination of ingredients was wonderful; we thought the ricotta cheese might have made the filling a little bit too creamy, but other than that, it was an easy to follow and delicious recipe! Thanks to Annacia for another wonderful recipe which goes straight into my cookbook!Thanks for posting this, FT:-)