California Steak Sandwich
photo by Kana K.
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (or lemon)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 lb flank steak
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 -2 sweet onion, circular slices
- 1 cup arugula
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened (3/4 of a stick)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄3 cup parsley, flat leafed, finely chopped
- 4 slices bread, you're favorite, I use Texas toast or 4 slices sliced sourdough bread
- In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, soy sauce, lime juice and brown sugar. Add steak and toss until coated. Marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Remove steak from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Season lightly with salt (remembering there was soy sauce in the marinade) and pepper.
- To grill: Preheat grill to medium-high. Place on grill and cook steak to your liking, about 6 minutes per side for medium-rare. (Cooking time will vary due to thickness of your steak.).
- To broil: Preheat oven broiler to high. Place steak on a sheet pan and cook, turning once halfway, until cooked to your liking, about 6 minutes per side for medium-rare. (Cooking time will vary due to thickness of your steak.).
- For the onions: Cut the onion into 4 (1-inch thick) slices. Remove the outer ring of skin from each slice. Drizzle the sliced onion with light colored oil and season both sides with steak seasoning or salt and pepper, to taste. Grill on hot grill or on a nonstick griddle for 5 to 7 minutes on each side until onion is tender and has begun to caramelize. (I use a small metal skewer to hold the onions together) easier to flip over.
- For the Garlic bread: Combine the butter, chopped parsley and garlic in a food processor or with a mixer until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Spread on both sides of bread and place in a pan over medium heat until toasted, flip and repeat.
- For the seasoned Arugula: Place in a bowl, lightly squirt some olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Garlic toast, arugula, steak and top the steak with the caramelized onions and the other piece of garlic toast -- enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
100% food experimenting amateur chef... I use this site to keep my online cook book and recipes I want to try.