- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 3⁄4 cup ripe olives
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 1⁄3 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 2⁄3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup white rice, uncooked
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut olives into wedges.
- Brown ground beef in oil in a hot skillet. Drain beef, reserving drippings. Transfer the beef to a prepared casserole dish.
- Saute onion and green pepper in the beef drippings. Add to casserole.
- Brown the rice lightly in the same skillet, stirring constantly. Stir rice, seasonings and olives into the casserole.
- Blend the hot water and tomato paste together. Pour over top of casserole and cover.
- Bake for one hour.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a classically trained chef and a grad of NECI in Vermont. I ran my own catering company for years and then decided to switch gears and go to law school. I now practice law and cook just for fun. I enjoy cooking for friends and DH and I entertain regularly. I also cook for my three golden retrievers and have found several wonderful biscuit recipes here at Zaar. I collect cookbooks and food literature. My all time favourite food writer is MFK Fisher. If you have not read it, I commend her short story "Borderland " to you. It is one of the most evocative pieces of food writing ever. My current favourite cookbook is "Urban Italian - Simple Recipes and True Stories from a Life in Food" by Andrew Carmelini. For years I managed to hang on to all of my back issues of Gourmet some of which date back to the 1980's. Sadly, I recently lost that particular battle and to promote marital harmony, I am recycling my old mags but am posting my favorite Gourmet recipes along with some interesting ones worthy of a test drive.