California Patty Melts
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
I love patty melts, and this is a nice version using goat cheese.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- 8 slices rye bread
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- mustard, your choice
- In a medium-size saute pan or skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion, cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Remove cover, and continue to cook the onion over low heat until very soft and golden, about 45 minutes longer, stirring to keep onions from sticking to pan.
- Start up grill or preheat a broiler.
- While onions are cooking and after grill is lit, combine ground beef, Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl.
- Handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting it, mix ingredients together well.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions, and form into thin, round patties to fit the bread slices.
- Cut the cheese into 4 pieces a little smaller that the patties.
- Place a piece of cheese on 4 of the patties, cover with the remaining patties, and press edges together to seal and encase the cheese.
- When grill is ready, brush the grill rack or broiler rack with vegetable oil.
- Place the patties on the grill rack or under the broiler and cook until browned, about 4 minutes.
- With a wide spatula, turn the patties and cook until done to preference, about 4 minutes longer for medium rare.
- During the last few minutes of cooking, place the bread slices on the outer edges of the grill to toast lightly or prepare in toaster.
- Top 4 slices of the bread with the patties, pile on the onion, and cover.
- with the remaining bread slices.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION