California Avocado Eggs Benedict With Chipotle Hollandaise
- Ready In:
- 2 English muffins (I use Thomas light)
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 avocado
- 4 eggs
- snipped fresh cilantro, to garnish
Chipotle Hollandaise Sauce
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 -2 tablespoon finely minced chipotle chile in adobo (to taste)
- Split English muffins in half and toast until browned.
- Cook the bacon until crisp.
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Scoop flesh into a bowl and add a pinch of salt and dash pepper, mash with a fork.
- Spread the avocado over the toasted English muffin halves and top with the bacon.
- Melt a teaspoon or two of butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Break two eggs into pan, and reduce heat to low. Cook eggs over easy (whites are done, and yolks are still runny). Repeat with remaining two eggs.
- Place eggs on top of the bacon, then drizzle each with about 1/4 cup of Chipotle Hollandaise. Sprinkle some snipped fresh cilantro over it all and serve at once.
To Make the Chipotle Hollandaise Sauce:
- Cut the butter into two pieces, place in a 2 cup glass measure or bowl, and microwave, covered with a paper towel, on high, until almost melted, 30-45 seconds. Remove butter from the microwave and stir until completely melted.
- Place the egg yolks in a small bowl and beat the yolks well with a whisk or fork, then add to the butter and stir well.
- Add cream and lemon juice to egg mixture and stir well. Microwave mixture, uncovered, on high, until just slightly thick, about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, stopping every 20 seconds to stir with a fork. Remove sauce from microwave and stir in mustard and minced chipotle in adobe.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Married to my sweetheart for almost forty years and we have two wonderful children who are grown and have flown the coop. Also, we have been blessed with a wonderful son-in-law and beautiful daughter-in-law, plus FIVE grandchildren: two beautiful granddaughters ages five and eight, and three sweet adorable little grandsons ages 2 months, 2 years and 3 years. My husband and I share a combination of English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Dutch, Swiss, Polish, Austrian, German and French heritage, and our son-in-law and daughter-in-law are both Hispanic. We've traveled extensively to many countries abroad (we lived in Germany), and have traveled and lived in several states here in the U.S.A. Many of the recipes I post here are influenced by our combined heritage or from our travels, or they are old family favorites that I want to share with you. I hope you enjoy! Have been to culinary school with many years of cooking (mostly for my family) under my belt, so know my way around a kitchen. And I'm very lucky to have the best sous chef in the world, dddddh! One of my favorite chefs of all time is Jacques Pepin! I have several of his cookbooks, and enjoy watching his television cooking show Fast Food My Way. Another top favorite is Julia Child (of course!). A few other chefs I read/enjoy watching on t.v. are: Giada At Home, Ina Garten's The Barefoot Contessa, Nigella Lawson's Nigella Bites, and Patti's Mexican Kitchen, and many more. On my bucket list is dining at Thomas Keller's establishment The French Laundry in Napa Valley, California... as well as Alice Waters' Chez Panisse in Berkeley, and the James Beard award winning Tartine Bakery and Cafe in San Francisco. One day!! Hobbies/Interests: Decorating with fresh flowers and herbs from the garden is my passion, and brings me deep joy! It's really hard to beat!! I love connecting with others who enjoy the same. Gardening, decorating, sewing, music, dancing, film, and reading are also up there. Spending quality time with my grandchildren, family, and friends (and cooking holiday meals!). Currently, a newfound passion has been so richly rewarding for me: genealogical research. I heart ancestry dot com. And last but certainly not least, I absolutely LOVE cats--we have two half-Siamese fur babies (cats) that allow us to live here!! A Note of Thanks~ I try to personally thank everyone who kindly makes and reviews my recipes, but sometimes I am busy, late, or may forget. Please know that I am always humbled that you would try one of my recipes, and I enjoy reading the reviews and seeing all the pretty photographs. Thanks so much! </p>