Calico Corn Bread Dressing (Taste of Home)
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This recipe serves a crowd, and I will post as written. I made a smaller version. Good Stuff. Recipe courtesy of 2009 Taste of Home Recipes.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons baking powder plus 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 lbs bulk pork sausage
- 5 cups water
- 8 cups sliced celery
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried minced garlic plus 1 1/2 tsp instant minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 24 slices white bread, cubed
- 6 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 bunches green onions, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup minced sliced parsley
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- In another large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, and oil and stir into dry ingredients just until softened.
- Pour the batter into 2 greased 13x9x2 inch pans.
- Bake at 425 for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks.
- In a soup kettle, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink and drain.
- Stir in the water, celery, green peppers, garlic, pepper, and cayenne.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Cover and simmer 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are crisp tender.
- In a very large bowl, crumble corn bread into 1/2 inch pieces. Stir in the white bread, broth, onions, and parsley.
- Divide among 4 greased pans and cover and bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 to 15 minutes longer or until slightly browned.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION