Calico Bean Soup Mix
photo by Marsha D.
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 15mins
- 4 tablespoons lima beans, large
- 3 tablespoons lima beans, small
- 3 tablespoons red kidney beans
- 3 tablespoons great northern beans
- 2 tablespoons split peas
- 2 tablespoons white beans, small
- 2 tablespoons lentils
- 2 tablespoons black-eyed peas
- 2 tablespoons pinto beans
- 2 tablespoons garbanzo beans
- 2 tablespoons navy beans
- 2 tablespoons black turtle beans
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped dried onion
- 1 teaspoon dried bell pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- To make the soup mix, combine the beans and place in plastic bag.
- Bags that are decorated for holidays can be found in craft shops.
- Place the spices in a small plastic bag.
- Very small ziplock bags can also be found in craft shops.
Great bean soup mix, and great gift (my friends enjoyed it, too). I did not use large limas, but substitued red beans (for christmas color), and added some barley. I layered the beans (as in photo) and found that for quart size jars, I needed to use 5-6 tblps per layer, but only 2-3 tblsp per layer for the pint size jars. As gifts, these were a big hit for Christmas 2008--thanks so much for posting this gift "recipe" (soup reviewed separately).
We love mixed bean soup.(15 bean or whatever)I more than Trippled this recipe. Made it up in collander so I could mix them up real good then put them in a 1/2 gallon jar. Did the same with the spices, put it into a small jar. I used a lot of odds and ends of beans that I had small amounts of.Some that are not list in the recipe,Cramberry beans for one. Thank you so much for posting , will have to try your bean soup recipe.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in a small town in western colorado and I love to cook. I have 2 children, one is grown and out of the house, the other is in High School. I love reading, birdwatching, growing pretty flowers, Pearl Jam and Colorado Rockies Baseball.