- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic; cook and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the squid and continue to cook and stir until toasted.
- Pour in the white wine, stirring to release any bits of food from the bottom of the pan. Simmer for about 10 minutes over medium heat to reduce the liquid.
- Add the rice, water and tomato paste to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, until rice is tender and the water has been absorbed, adding water if needed.
- Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper before serving.