Calabacita con Puerco
Calabacita is a classic Tex-Mex dish that is slightly different everywhere you find it. This is my version.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3 lbs pork chops, boned and cubed
- 3 -4 serrano chilies, to taste
- 1 large onion
- 2 teaspoons whole comino
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 3 lbs squash, sliced,large slices quartered (yellow or zucchini or Mexican squash)
- 1 can whole kernel corn, including liquid
- 2 cans Rotel diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat shortening in Dutch oven; fry pork cubes in batches until browned.
- Return all pork to pan.
- Place chilies and onion in food processor container and process until chopped (or chop together by hand).
- Slice garlic and place with cominos and salt in a mortar and pestle and grind together.
- (The garlic and cominos and salt can be chopped in the food processor with the chilies and onion, but grinding it gives it more flavor).
- Add all vegetables to pan with pork and cook over high heat until onion is transparent.
- Sprinkle flour over pork and vegetables and stir to combine.
- Cook a few minutes to remove the raw taste of the flour.
- Add all remaining ingredients plus about 1 tomato can of water--enough so that pork and vegetables are not quite covered with liquid.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover with a lid.
- Cook at a simmer for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally, checking periodically and adding more water if necessary.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION