Cakes With Nuts from Chile (torta De Mil Hojas)
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This is an authentic Chilean recipe, makes great gifts ! Everyone who goes to Chile wont forget this. Posted upon request, taken from www.cakecentral.com
- Ready In:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 7⁄8 cup butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup milk
- 2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Mix together the flour and baking powder; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy.
- Blend in the egg yolks, one at a time.
- Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk.
- The dough will be stiff like a cookie dough.
- Divide the dough into 10 pieces and shape into balls.
- Roll each ball into a 9 inch circle.
- Place on cookie sheets and prick with a fork in several places.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Set aside.
- Make the Caramel Filling: In a sauce pan, boil the unopened cans of sweetened condensed milk for 3 hours.
- Monitor the water closely, to make sure there is always water in the pan.
- Remove can from heat and let cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a small measuring cup, combine the brandy and water.
- Place one cookie layer on serving plate.
- Sprinkle with brandy mixture, then spread with the now thickened condensed milk.
- Sprinkle with nuts.
- Continue stacking until all layers are used.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
My famuly is Chilean and his recpe does not usually call for any kind of nuts; The name means cakes of a thousand layers. this is my favrite cake and evry year my mother would make it for my birthday (we love nuts so I know she did not omit them for any reason) also you are supposed to put preassure on every layer as you go wih a brick wrapped in foil and especially after you are done to copact the cake. This is a delicious cake and orth the work1Reply