Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Stew
Similar to a gumbo, but instead of a roux this spicy stew is thickened with a cornstarch slurry, making it glossy and delicious! This recipe serves 10-12. It can be halved for a family dinner. You may substitute long grain rice for the jasmine rice.
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 30mins
- 4 lbs large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 large onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 5 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 green bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1-inch strips
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped and divided
- 1 (1 lb) package spicy smoked sausage, sliced
- 3 cups uncooked jasmine rice
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- Butterfly shrimp by making a deep slit down back of each from large end to tail, cutting to but not through inside curve of shrimp.
- Cook onions in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring often, 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. Add tomato sauce, and cook, stirring occasionally, 25 to 30 minutes or until thickened. Add diced tomatoes with green chiles, celery, bell peppers, and 2 cups water.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium, and simmer 30 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Add 3 garlic cloves, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring in 1 to 2 cups of water as needed to maintain a stew-like consistency. Stir in sausage, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring in 1 to 2 cups water as needed. Skim grease from surface as needed.
- Meanwhile, prepare rice according to package directions.
- Stir green onions, parsley, Cajun seasoning, and remaining 3 garlic cloves into sausage mixture. Simmer 10 minutes. Add shrimp, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Stir together 1/4 cup cornstarch and 1/2 cup water. Stir into shrimp-and-sausage mixture, stirring just until mixture is thick and glossy. Serve with hot cooked rice.