Cajun Kale, Sausages, and Rice
- Ready In:
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice (I use brown rice)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 10 ounces fresh kale, stems removed and chopped (or 8-10 stalks)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- 1⁄2 lb linguica sausage, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- your favorite hot sauce
- In a wide, heavy-bottomed saute pan with a lid, or a soup pot, heat 1 tsp olive oil over medium heat.
- Add sausage and lightly brown, 3-4 minutes.
- Remove sausage and set aside.
- Add remailing oil to same pot and saute onion, celery, and red pepper over medium heat for 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook and additional minute.
- Stir in rice to coat with oil.
- Add water, tomatoes, thyme, and salt.
- Place kaleon top without mixing in, cover, and boil for 2 minutes.
- turn heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes until rice is done (35-45 minutes for brown rice).
- Stir in reserved sausage and cheese (if using). Cover again for a minute to let cheese melt.
- Add your favorite hot sauce (I use Cayenne concoction).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!