Cajun Cocktail & Cajun Tartar Sauces
These two recipes have been submitted for play in ZWT9 – Cajun/Creole. Both these recipes are from cookbook: Cajun Cooking by Better Homes and Gardens. Cocktail Sauce & Tartar Sauce are served with all kinds of fried Cajun dishes, frog legs, catfish and seafood platters to name a few.
- Ready In:
Cajun Cocktail Sauce
- 1 tablespoon onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh horseradish, grated (optional)
Cajun Tartar Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise or 1 cup salad dressing
- 1⁄4 cup sweet pickle, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely snipped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 -2 dash bottled hot pepper sauce
Cajun Cocktail Sauce:
- In a large pot cook onions and garlic in butter until tender.
- Stir in the water, tomato paste, prepared horseradish, lemon juice, dry mustard, salt and ground red pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer, uncovered 5 - 10 minutes.
- Serve warm or chilled with fried fish and seafood. Top the cocktail sauce with grated fresh horseradish, if desired.
- Makes 3/4 cup of sauce.
Cajun Tartar Sauce:
- In a bowl stir tegether the mayonnaise, sweet picle, green onion, parsley, lemon juice and hot pepper sauce.
- Served with fried fish and seafood.
- Makes 1 1/4 cup of sauce.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Made both sauces but on different days...I felt the cocktail sauce had a very tomato taste along with it being very sour from the lemon...so I added a touch of sugar and it was perfect...I cut both recipes in half...I made the tartar sauce to go with my tuna nuggets that I made...I didn't have sweet pickles so I just used relish...both of these will be made again...made for "First Time" tag game...Reply