Cacoila (Portuguese Stewed Beef)
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs stewing beef, cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup red table wine
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- The day before cooking, marinate meat with crushed red peppers in a plastic bag or covered dish, overnight.
- Place onion slices, parsley, garlic and bay leaf in the bottom of a large heavy Dutch oven.
- Place meat on top, dot with butter, and pour combined wine and tomato sauce over all.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer over very low heat for 3 to 4 hours, until meat is very tender and sauce is thickened.
- Serve with pasta, rice or boiled white potatoes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was yummy. I'm trying to get my family to eat different things. I do like Portuguese food, with less heat. So I put a 1/4 tsp of the pepper flakes. I wasn't able to marinate overnight but I didn't lose the flavor! I cooked this in a crockpot on low for 5+ hours. It smelled great! I didn't eat it the same night, I ate it later on in the week and the spice of the pepper flakes was still there. I served with white rice, which was too bland for it, so next time I'll try it on something else. The only difference I may do is add a little bit of cornstarch to make the juice thicker into a gravy. Thank you, I will be making this again!!