Cabbage Soup With Cheese
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried fine herbs
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Saute bacon in a dutch oven over medium heat, until partially crisp. Pour off all but 3 to 4 TBS of the fat.
- Add the chopped onions and cabbage to the pan. Saute for 5 minutes, or until onions are soft.
- Stir in potatoes, then chicken broth, fine herbes and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are quite tender.
- Just before serving add the cheeses slowly, stirring until melted, but do not allow to boil. Add remaining ingredients and adjust seasoning if required.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
My pet peeve is when a recipe doesn't give the exact measurements. What is a 1/2 head of cabbage? 4 cups, six cups, 8 cups, 10 cups? I made this , but I added more broth because it looked so thick.. ( i think I had about ten cups of cabbage , I used about 1/3 of a a very large head) After I added the cheese and cream it thinned down. My husband absolutely loved it. Please can someone tell me how much cabbage to use in this recipe? I definitely will make it again but would like to do it right.