Cabbage & Potato Casserole
A recipe by my favourite chef John Hadamuscin from Enchanted Evenings. I have changed it slightly to accommodate my family's preferences. I hope you enjoy this.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 3 slices bacon, thick, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, organic, finely chopped
- 1 large shallot, french, finely chopped
- 1 small green cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 granny smith apple, coarsely grated
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 large potatoes, quartered, unpeeled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄8 cup half-and-half
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄8 cup fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Cook bacon crisp. Reserve.
- Sauté onion, shallot, garlic, apple and cabbage for 20 minutes.
- Turn up heat and add the stock, cider, vinegar and sugar.
- Cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until most of the liquid is gone.
- Boil potatoes in salted water for 20 minutes until tender.
- Preheat oven to 400°F Grease pan.
- Drain and mash the potatoes.
- With a fork mix in the butter, then milk and lastly the egg.
- Add the cabbage mixture, bacon, parsley and pepper flakes, mix well.
- Pour into baking dish and bake 20 minutes.
- Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This is in my oven right now and wow the aroma is absolutely crazy good! I had to sub 2 things though and crossing my fingers it will be just as or maybe better ! I ended up with a pear instead of an apple & white wine for the apple cider. Thank you for this recipe! It's down to being creative in the kitchen right now because we are on a tight budget and this fit right in with what I had on hand!1Reply
see 3 more