C. V. Woods World Championship Chili Con Carne
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 30mins
- 3 lbs chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 1⁄2 quarts water
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 7 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 6 green chilies, long
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon msg
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup beer
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb beef suet
- 5 lbs pork chops, center cut, thin (3/8-inch cubes)
- 4 lbs flank steaks (3/8-inch cubes)
- 3 medium onions, 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 green peppers, 3/8-inch pieces
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 lime, juice of
- Simmer chicken pieces in water for 2 hours.
- Strain broth and reserve.
- In 2 qt saucepan combine celery, tomatoes and sugar and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Boil chilies 15 min until tender, remove seeds and cut in 1/4" in squares.
- Combine oregano, cumin, MSG, pepper, salt, chili powder, cilantro, and thyme with beer and whisk until all lumps are dissolved.
- Add tomato mixture, chilies, beer mixture, and garlic to chicken broth.
- Render suet.
- Brown 1/2 of cubed pork chops in 1/3 of suet drippings. Repeat for other 1/2 of cubed pork chops.
- Add browned pork to broth mixture and cook slowly 30 minutes.
- Brown flank steak cubes in remaining 1/3 of suet drippings about 1/3 at a time.
- Add to pork mixture.
- Return to boil and simmer slowly about 1 hour.
- Add onions and green peppers.
- Simmer 2 1/2 hours longer, stirring with wooden spoon every 15-20 minute.
- Cool 1 hour then refrigerate 24 hours.
- Reheat chili before serving.
- About 5 minutes before serving time, add cheese.
- Immediately before serving, add lime juice and stir with wooden spoon.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am of Italian heritage and a native of New Orleans, so exceptional food is in the blood! We New Orleanians are very passionate about our food. Katrina is responsible for us relocating to San Antonio, Texas. We are caring for my elderly parents and needed a new business that did not take us out of the home fulltime. So, we started a catering business! It's going quite well so far.