Butterscotch Banana Bread Waffles
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 cups sour milk (or buttermilk)
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed well
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar in a large bowl.
- In another large bowl beat the egg yolks.
- Add sour milk and mashed bananas.
- Stir in the dry ingredients until well mixed.
- In a mixing bowl, whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into batter.
- Gently stir in butterscotch chips.
- Heat waffle iron and brush with oil.
- Pour batter into iron and cook until golden brown.
- Serve with maple syrup or butter, if desired.
- NOTE: I wipe off any melted butterscotch from the iron between batches, so they don't burn.
Join The Conversation
Very good & unique waffle recipe! I made them for a Sunday brunch last weekend - we were very pleased with the flavour. I agree with another reviewer - definitely sweet enough without the syrup! Because I have a t-fal waffle-maker, I thought I could get away without brushing with oil but the first 2 stuck. So, then I tried using Becel cooking spray (trying to save a few calories) & the next 2 stuck. Finally, I followed the instructions & brushed with oil & they came out perfectly!! I managed to get 17 waffles out of one batch - far too many for the 2 of us. So, I froze the leftovers in baggies of 2 & we popped some in the toaster for breakfast this morning - great again!