Butternut Squash Soup With Apple & Smoked Cheddar
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
From Food & Wine February 2007
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup apple cider
- 1 3⁄4 lbs butternut squash (peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes - 5 1/4 cups)
- 4 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 4 1/2 cups low-sodium broth
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 mcintosh apple, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄3 cup coarsely shredded smoked cheddar cheese
- chives or thinly sliced sage leaf, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil.
- Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 8 minutes.
- Add the apple cider and cook until syrupy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash and chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer until the squash is very tender, about 40 minutes.
- In a blender, puree the soup in batches.
- Return the soup to the saucepan and stir in the cream. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
- Heat a medium skillet.
- Add the butter and diced apple and cook over high heat until the apple is tender and golden around the edges, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls; garnish with the smoked cheddar, sautéed apples and chives; serve.
- For Vegetarian do not use Chicken broth or stock. Use Vegetable broth.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I just tried this. I found it in the Feb. food and wine mag, and let me tell you! This is so very good. Wish there was a pic of it like there is in the magazine! I didn't want to buy a large amount of apple cider cause we don't drink it, so I used apple sauce. I advise grating extra smoked cheddar cheese, also because you'll want a lot garnishing it! The photo shows a couple raw apple slices on top of each bowl of soup also, as a garnish. The apples are unpeeled by the way. If you like apple cider try it that way. This is so good, that I am making it for my son and dil in May for their anniversary dinner that I am doing. Gosh, there just aren't words enough to describe how delicious this was. We just fixed a salad with it, and it filled us up so full we couldn't have seconds! Its a good thing it keeps good.I recomend it highly.1Reply