Butternut Squash Casserole
This favorite squash recipe came from a family friend. You can use acorn squash, but my family thinks it tastes best with fresh butternut squash from the garden! The only other way my kids will eat squash is when it is full of butter and brown sugar. This is a flavorful recipe with little prep once the squash is cooked.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 2 lbs squash (preferably butternut)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (can substitute with Splenda)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup melted margarine
- salt & pepper
- 6 ounces of herb flavored croutons, set aside for topping
- Cook squash and drain. (I actually cut the butternut squash in half and bake it in the oven on a cookie sheet if time allows; cover with tinfoil to keep it moist.).
- Mix other ingredients together and gently fold in cooked squash.
- Pour into greased 9" x 13" casserole dish.
- Top with crushed cracker crumbs or croutons which have been buttered with cooking oil (use Herbed or Italian seasoned croutons for more flavor).
- Bake 45 minute @ 350 degrees.