Butternut Squash and Turnip Soup
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 1 medium butternut squash, seeded peeled and diced
- 1 lb turnip, peeled and diced
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 3 dried chipotle peppers
- 3 -4 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, combine water, stock, squash, turnips, chipotles, peppercorns, and bay leaves.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes on medium heat, until veggies are tender.
- When done, remove leaves and chipotles, and set aside to cool a bit.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large, non-stick frying pan, until melted. Add onions and garlic, and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add parsley and mushrooms, and cook for another 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Combine cooked onion mixture with cooked squash mixture. Allow to cool.
- Using either a food processor or immersion blender, puree the mixture until it achieves a consistent texture. (If using a food processor, you will have to work in portions).
- Season as desired.
- This recipe can be served warm or cold. If served cold, add a dollop of light sour cream or plain yogurt.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!