Butternut Squash and Mushroom Risotto
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- vegetable oil or canola oil
- 2 cups butternut squash, in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups shiitake mushrooms, chopped small
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- olive oil
- 1 cup shallot, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped (plus extra for garnish)
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup Chardonnay wine
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄8 cup romano cheese, finely grated
- Steps #2 through #6 are for the Veggies.
- In a medium-large skillet, heat a thin film of oil on medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms. Sauté until oil absorbed (about 1 minute).
- Push mushrooms to sides and add butter to center. Wait until butter browns lightly.
- Add squash, thyme, salt, pepper, and stir. Sauté until butternut squash is brown on all sides (or some sides) and cooked or just under-done.
- Add to risotto in step #14 below.
- Steps #8 through #16 are for the Risotto.
- Heat the wine by microwaving gradually until hot to the touch and set aside. Heat the broth in a small sauce pan on medium-high heat until hot to the touch, then turn it down and leave it on low heat.
- In a large saucepan, sauté shallot and parsley in abundant olive oil. When brown and translucent, remove from pan with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add rice to pan. Stir to coat, adding a tad more oil if necessary. Sauté until rice becomes translucent (with a visible white core) and slightly colored but not brown (about 7-10 minutes), stirring to keep from sticking.
- Re-add shallot and parsley to pan. Add warm wine. Stir until wine evaporates.
- Just as the last of the liquid evaporates, add one ladle of warm broth. Stir gently.
- You will repeat step #12, adding a new ladle of broth whenever the liquid is low and stirring gently, until the rice is al dente (about 20-30 minutes). Look ahead to steps #14 and #15. You may or may not use all the broth. If you completely run out of broth, use water (heated to the same temperature as the broth).
- When the rice is almost done, before the last ladle or two of broth, add all the contents of the veggie pan.
- When rice is done, turn off heat. Stir in butter and cheese.
- Let sit for 2-3 minutes covered. Serve immediately, garnished with parsley.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!