Butternut Squash and Chocolate Chip Muffins
These are the fluffiest most delicious cake-like muffins! It's so rewarding to start with raw squash and end up with such a sumptuous treat. My children absolutely devour these - a batch will disappear in a day. A must try!
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 cups butternut squash
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Turn oven on to 400 degrees F. Cut a butternut squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Place cut side down on parchment paper over a cookie sheet and roast for 45 minutes. When cool enough to handle, scoop the squash away from the peel. Mash. Use 2 1/2 cups. This time is not included in the prep time.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Using a stand mixer, blend thoroughly the squash, shortening, margarine, sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir just until blended. Remove bowl from mixer and fold in the chocolate chips (if desired).
- Line 24 muffin cups. Scoop the batter into the cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I ended up making this recipe in two loaf pans since I did not have any muffin pans. At first glance it looked like it was going to be quite dry but it ended up being quite good. I did not put any chocolate chips in. I found that it was quite sweet almost like cake. The next time I make it I will probably modify it to see if I can make it less sweet. Otherwise I really enjoyed it.Reply