Buttermilk Spice Crisps
Source: Taste of Home (Cooking time doesn't include chill time)
- Ready In:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 4 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and buttermilk.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and nutmeg; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape into two 9-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices.
- Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Made for Spring PAC 2010, my DH walked in the door & said *I smell cookies and want my dessert 1st* ! That is how good the aroma is because none had been baked ~ just mixed & put to chill. For 2 of us, I would have liked to make a half batch, but 1/2 egg seemed too tricky to try. I have never been very good at the roll & cut thinly thing, so my roll was larger & cookies thicker than intended. Cooked 10 min till the edges began to brown, warm from the oven cookies were edge crisp w/barely soft centers, but were fully crisp the next dy. I hid half my yield in the freezer as these cookies were disappearing at warp speed. Thx for sharing this recipe w/us. :-)Reply
The aroma of these cookies baking is heavenly. The spice flavors really come thru nicely. The appearance of these cookies aren't the best, but then who cares if you're enjoying your cookie w/a cuppa tea.:-) The buttermilk adds just a touch of moistness, although I don't taste the buttermilk. I"ve made other spice cookie recipes w/o the added buttermilk and so I'm wondering if milk wouldn't serve the same purpose?? It would be nice to do a comparison if I had the other cookies available.:-( Thanks for a great smelling kitchen on this cold winter day Sarah. Made for AU recipeswap #25.~Reply