- Ready In:
1 (9-inch) pie
- 1 (10 inch) deep dish pie shells
- 2 cups soft flaked coconut (coarsley chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter (no subs!)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 large eggs, well beaten
- 1⁄2 cup full-fat buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
- Set oven to 325 degrees (oven rack to bottom position).
- Toast the coconut on a baking sheet until golden brown (about 6-8 minutes) stirring a few times; set aside.
- Fit the unbaked pie pastry into a 10-inch deep dish glass pie plate, then flute edges as desired; cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- In a bowl beat the melted butter with both sugars and flour on medium speed until well blended (about 2 minutes).
- Add in eggs, buttermilk and vanilla; beat until well combined.
- Add/stir in the toasted coconut and chocolate chips.
- Transfer the mixture into prepared pie shell/s.
- Place the pie/s onto a baking sheet to catch any spills.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes or until JUST set and the crust is baked until light golden brown (you might have to cover the pie top loosley with foil the last 10 minutes of baking to prevent the filling and crust from over browning).
- Cool and serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!