Buttermilk Biscuits and Pepper Gravy
photo by Chef shapeweaver
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk (if you don't have buttermilk,use 1 cup milk with 1 tablespoon lemon juice, let sit 5 minutes)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening or 4 tablespoons same amount bacon grease
- 1⁄3 cup self-rising flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper (to taste)
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F.
- In a medium sized bowl, add flour and shortening.
- Cut in shortening until it looks like coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add buttermilk and stir until soft dough forms.
- Pour onto a board floured with 1/3 cup flour.
- Roll into a ball and lightly knead for about 5 minutes.
- Gently pat out dough until about 1/3 inch thick.
- Using a 1 1/2 to 2 inch round biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits.
- Re-knead remaining scraps to make more biscuits.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet, about an inch apart.
- Bake at 425°F for 15 to 20 minutes or until desired color is reached.
- In a medium sized skillet, melt shortening until hot but not smoking.
- Add 1/3 cup flour and stir until it looks like a paste.
- Add 1/2 cup milk; stir until smooth.
- Add rest of milk, stirring with wire whisk constantly until all lumps are gone.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn off heat and let sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I was looking for a recipe like my nanny's, who didn't use any measurements at all. This had all the right ingredients. The only thing is the biscuits came out a little to hard and not quite like biscuits when followed exactly but all I had to do was add atleast 1/2 more buttermilk and they came out perfect. Other than that excellent recipe.