Butterkuchen (Quick and Easy Pastry)
photo by under12parsecs
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
1 10x13 pan
- In a pyrex mixing bowl, combine milk, 1/2 c sugar, salt and 1/2 c butter. Heat in microwave until butter is melted.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, dissolve both packets of yeast into warm water with the pinch of sugar.
- Measure flour into another mixing bowl. Add eggs and stir to just combine. When butter has melted, add the liquid to the flour mixture and stir a little. Then add yeast and stir enough so that all ingredients are combined.
- Grease a 10x13 pan and spread dough in pan. Let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- While dough is rising, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Also, mix together the topping ingredients and sprinkle over the dough.
- Place in oven over a halfsheet to catch any syrup that runs over the top. Bake for 22-27 minutes or until the top is golden and syrupy. Be careful not to overbake.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is HEAVENLY! I could not believe how wonderful this tasted fresh out of the pan. I totally agree with Engrosed that this is best while still warm (though we do have leftovers and will try them out reheated to see if it is as good). It reminds me of something from my childhood that I used to love, though I cannot quite put my finger on it. At any rate, this is beyond easy and beyond delicious and anyone who loves a good yeasty cinnamon roll should try this for a quick fix!
WOW! This was outstanding! It was so very easy too. I made it according to the recipe except I added a full teaspoon of cinnamon in the topping. I had to let it rise for 90 minutes before it just passed the top of the pan. I had it set on top of a stovetop burner while the oven was preheating. My husband kept on picking off the "sugar butter"...he loves that stuff. It smelled wonderful while baking. The cake part isn't very sweet but the topping turns into a glaze that coats the whole top, sides and bottom! That is the best part. It's kinda toffee like but chewy. I do think it may have been a little overcooked in my oven at 45 minutes. It was best while still warm. Thank you so much for this keeper recipe! Made for Zaar Tag.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My name is Julie, and I love to cook. I've even gotten to the point where I don't mind the dishes!