Butter Cookies (St. Martin -- Caribbean)
photo by Chickee
- Ready In:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, cream butter & sugar along with the vanilla extract, until mixture is fluffy & light.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour & salt, then, 1/2 cup at a time, add it to the butter mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Scoop dough onto the center of a large ungreased, 9-inch square baking pan, & using a spatula spread it out evenly.
- Bake the huge cookie on the center rack of the oven until firm to the touch & golden brown, about 35 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven & cut the 9-inch square cookie into 1 1/2-inch squares, making 36 smaller cookies.
- Place them on a wire rack to cool before eating.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Melt-in-your-mouth cookies. So easy to make too. Instead of unsalted butter I used 1 cup regular butter (2 sticks) which is equivalent to 1/2 lb. butter and omitted the salt. I lined the 9 inch square baking pan with parchment paper which made it easy to pull the cookie out onto a cutting board to cut into squares. Yummy addition to my cookie cook book and favorite zaar recipes three-ring binder too. Update July 1,2009 Made these again without parchment paper liner and they came out perfect. My family and friends love these cookies. Have shared your recipe with all of them. Made a batch to take to a pot luck Canada Day party today.
I thought these were positively delectable cookies. They were buttery yet so light in texture. We really enjoyed them. They were every bit as good as my favorite shortbread cookies that are served every Christmas at our local Nordstrom cafe. Thanks for another great offering, Sydney Mike. Made for ZWT5.