Butter Bean Hummus (Houmous)
This is a recipe from Lesley Waters 'Simple Ways to Success - Healthy' cookbook. This is a really creamy houmous and the butter beans add extra protein. I use Bekah's Homemade Tahini #73859 to make it and sometimes I add a little sambal oelek for some extra spicyness. It great served with a variety of fresh vegetables and pita crisps for dipping. Or you could try one of my favourites: a fresh bagel with houmous, rocket and roasted aubergine. Yum!
- Ready In:
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can butter beans
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek (not in original recipe) (optional)
- Put all ingredients in a food processor, apart from salt and pepper, and blend until just about smooth.
- Alternatively you can put them in a mixing bowl and use a stick blender.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
I have been putting yohurt in my hummus for years preferring it to the large amounts of olive oil some other recipes call for. The dip was light but a little bland before seasoning so don't be tempted to skip it, the samal oelek would make a tasty addition. This made up enough for me to freeze in individual portions so I can take it to work. It is worth mentioning that if you dont have a food processor this takes a lot longer to make. I ended up having to puree the beans half a tin at a time in my magic bullet, then mix in the other ingredients THEN put it back in the bullet to mix it Phew!
I had mistakenly placed a can of butter beans into my shopping cart then wondered what on earth I'd ever do with it. Turned out to be one of those happy accidents because I was given a reason to try this creamy and delicious hummus. I used Homemade Tahini #73859, stopped at 3 tablespoons water, and seasoned using coarse-grind garlic salt with oregano. I served my hummus with toasted wedges of Greek Flatbread #68272. Thank you for a great easy recipe I'll gladly make again and again!
We loved this, so light and creamy. A useful store cupboard standby with a wonderful flavour; a definate 5 star recipe. I don't have any sambal olek and wasn't sure about trying to substitute anything, so was happy that it is an optional extra. Perhaps next time I'll try and get some. Thanks for the recipe Sylvie.