Butera's Baked Potato Soup
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 quarts milk
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 large potatoes, baked
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled, plus more for garnish
- 5 ounces cheddar cheese, grated, plus more for garnish
- chives, chopped for garnish
- Melt butter in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat.
- Using a wire whisk, slowly blend in flour until thoroughly blended.
- Gradually add milk, whisking constantly.
- Whisk in salt and pepper and simmer over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Cut potatoes in half, scoop out the "meat" and set aside.
- Chop half the potato peels (optional) and discard the remainder.
- When milk mixture is very hot, whisk in potato meat.
- Stir in green onions and potato peels.
- Whisk well, then add sour cream and crumbled bacon. Heat thoroughly.
- Add cheese, a little at a time, stirring until all is incorporated.
- Garnish with chives, grated cheese and bacon crumbles.
Join The Conversation