Bush's Red, White and Bean Minestrone
photo by jdanger
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 20mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup Italian turkey sausage, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 16 ounces chopped canned tomatoes
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 15 1⁄2 ounces cannellini beans (with liquid)
- 16 ounces red kidney beans, drained
- 2 cups zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups Baby Spinach
- 1 cup cooked bow tie pasta
- 2 tablespoons pre-packaged pesto sauce (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat oil over medium heat in a medium saute pan. Add sauage, brown well.
- Add tomato paste, cook 5 minutes till brown.
- Add onions thru oregano. Cook till garlic is aromatic, about 5 minutes.
- Pour into a 4 quart slow cooker. Add tomatoes and chicken stock.
- Cook on low setting for 6-7 hours or till vegetables are tender.
- Stir in beans, zucchini, spinach, and pasta. Cook on high setting for 8 minutes or until beans and pasta are warmed thru and spinach has wilted.
- Pour the soup into bowls. Top with pesto and parmesan cheese.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is amazing. I never have cannelloni beans at home, so I usually just double the kidney beans. I have four people in my family, and even though I always make a huge pot, thinking that I'll be able to have it for leftovers for days it is ALWAYS gone by lunchtime on the next day. My stepfather, who is notoriously meat-and-potatoes, said that this soup is the best thing he's ever eaten (when he didn't think I could hear him). It is pretty bland if you don't use pesto in it, so I wouldn't advise leaving that ingredient out. Oh, and I also use all beef hot italian sausage to give it some extra zing. Mmmmmm....