Bunuelos With Orange Syrup
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
From the Border Cookbook, posted for ZWT 3, Mexico.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 3⁄4 cup water
- combine the brown sugar and cinnamon in a small heavy saucepan. add the orange juice and water and simmer over medium heat until the mixture thickens and forms a light syrup.
- remove from the heat and set aside.
- rewarm if necessary before serving time.
- for the bread, sift together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and cinnamon into a large bowl.
- add the shortening and mix with your fingertips to combine.
- stir in the orange juice and water, working the liquids into the dough until a sticky ball forms.
- dust a counter or pastry board with flour and knead the dough vigorously for 1 minute.
- the mixture should be earlobe soft and no longer sticky. let the dough rest, covered with a damp cloth for 15 minutes.
- divide the dough into 12 to 14 balls, each about the size of a golf ball. cover the balls with the damp cloth and let them rest for another 15-30 minutes.
- if not for use immediately, the dough can be refrigerated for up to 4 hours.
- dust the counter or pastry board with flour again and roll out each ball of dough into a circle about 1/4 inch thick.
- trim any ragged edges and discard them.
- To avoid toughening the dough roll it out only once.
- cover the bunuelos with the damp cloth. don't stack the dough circles, because they might stick together.
- pour enough oil into a high sided heavy skillet to measure at least 3 inches in depth. heat the oil to 375.
- gently drop the first bunuelo into the hot oil. after sinking in the oil briefly, it should begin to puff and rise back to the surface.
- avoid spooning oil over the top of the frying bread, as it will balloon too much.
- when the bunuelo's top side has bubbled and risen more or less uniformly, turn it over with tongs.
- cook the bunuelo until it is just light golden, remove it with tongs, and drain it on paper towels.
- repeat the frying process with the remaining dough.
- drizzle the syrup over the bunuelos and serve immediately.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION