Bun Chao Gio - Vietnamese Noodles With Spring Rolls
photo by becy959
- Ready In:
- 10 sheets spring roll wrappers (for fried spring rolls)
- 200 g ground pork
- 100 g dried rice vermicelli
- 2 spring onions
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1⁄3 cup dried shiitake mushroom
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 carrot, chopped roughly
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- vegetable oil, 2 cups for frying
- 1 cup baby cos lettuce
- 1⁄4 cup chopped coriander
- 1⁄4 cup chopped mint
- 1⁄4 cup crushed peanuts
- 1⁄3 cup chopped cucumber
- 1⁄4 cup fried shallots (bought already cooked in a packet in Asian aisle)
- 1 small red chili pepper
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 teaspoon sugar, dissolved in
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- Soak the mushrooms in boiling water til soft.
- Soak 20 g of the rice vermicelli in boiling water til soft.
- Put in a food processor: softened rice vermicelli, softened mushrooms, pork mince, garlic, spring onions, carrot, egg, salt, pepper and hoi sin sauce and blend quickly (not til it's a paste).
- Cut spring roll pastry (if in large sheets) into squares, about 10 - 15 cm on each side.
- For each square, turn so point is downwards.
- Place spoon of mixture just below centre of square and shape into a little log (not all the way to the edges though).
- Take bottom point and fold over mixture, tucking in on opposite side.
- Roll upwards one full roll.
- Fold each side point into middle.
- Finish rolling around top point and glue shut with egg white.
- Heat vegetable oil to high, test it's hot enough by dropping in a small piece of pastry - if it bubbles it's ready.
- Cook spring rolls in oil til golden brown.
- Place cooked spring rolls on kitchen towel to drain oil.
- Put lettuce, sprouts, cucumber, chopped herbs in a large single-size serving bowl.
- Heat up a litre of water to boiling.
- Cook remaining rice vermicelli (will only take a couple minutes).
- Drain vermicelli in a colander, rinse with lukewarm water.
- Place rice vermicelli over greens in bowl.
- Sprinkle peanuts and fried shallots over the top.
- Slice spring rolls into bite size pieces and place on top.
- Combine sugar-water, fish sauce, chopped red chili and lime juice in a bowl and then pour over noodle dish.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!