Bulgur Stuffing With Dried Cranberries & Hazelnuts
photo by threeovens
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups onions, 2 large Chopped
- 1 cup celery, 2-3 stalks Chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups bulgur, rinsed
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 2⁄3 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2⁄3 cup hazelnuts, toasted Chopped (2 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, Chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- Over medium heat, in a dutch oven, heat oil.
- Add onions and celery and cook, stirring often, for approximately 5 to 8 minutes or until softened.
- To softened mixture, add garlic, cinnamon, and allspice and cook for 1 minute, stirring often.
- Add bulgur, stir for a few minutes to combine, than add broth, bay leaf, and salt.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low, cover dutch oven and simmer until all liquid is gone and bulgur is tender, approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine dried cranberries and orange juice.
- Cover with plastic wrap and add a few slits in the plastic wrap for vents.
- Microwave on high for approximately 2 minutes.
- This step can also be done on the stove top.
- In a small saucepan, bring dried cranberries and orange juice to a simmer.
- Remove from microwave or heat and set aside to let cranberries plump.
- In large mixing bowl, add bulgur and discard the bay leaf.
- Add cranberries, toasted hazelnuts, parsley, and pepper to bulgur.
- Fluff mixture with a fork and serve.
- NOTE: If making the stuffing ahead of time and reheating; place bowl of stuffing in a baking dish with 1/2 cup water added.
- Cover stuffing and microwave on high for 10 to 15 minutes or until heated through.
- The stuffing can also be baked at 350F degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or also until heated through.
- If using to stuff a turkey, prepare as stated above.
- Let cool completely and place about 5 cups of stuffing loosely into the turkey cavities.
- Heat remainder separately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a recipe with easy to follow instructions which produces a flavoursome stuffing with a lovely blend of flavours and variety of textures. I used it to stuff a chicken and I baked what didn’t fit into the chicken in a separate baking dish. I followed the recipe exactly except for using 4 cloves of garlic and adding a cup of mushrooms. Just loved the allspice and cinnamon flavouring. I’ll be making this again, for stuffing and as a side dish. Thank you for sharing this recipe.